Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Feeling free - (Amazing Chocolate Cupcakes)

Exams are finally over.I can stop holding my breath and relax .
No more intense revision,no more frustrating questions to answer and problems to solve.
The results will come, all too soon, but till then I'm putting all thoughts of exams out of my head...... with a chocolate cupcake. What more do you need?


The messy pile of textbooks and notes on my desk has been removed, and replaced with recipe books.
All facts and equations I've been cramming into my head the past few weeks are gone, and replaced with ideas for new recipes. I can finally get back to the kitchen. Life is good!

I wanted to start making a mess in the kitchen right away and stuff my face with something delicious. These choc cupcakes are just that.The cake is intensely chocolate-y and the frosting is divine.
I am in chocolate heaven.

Recipe
One Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes from Martha Stewart
Makes 12

45 g (3/8 cup) unsweetened cocoa powder
94 g (3/4 cup) plain flour
150 g (3/4 cup) sugar
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
90 ml buttermilk (I used 45 ml yogurt and 45 ml milk)
90 ml warm water
1 1/2 tbsp canola or sunflower oil
1/2 - 1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 180C (350F). Line a muffin tins with paper liners; set aside. 


Sift together cocoa powder, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl.

Add eggs, warm water, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla, and beat with a wooden spoon(you don't need to use an electric whisk) until smooth, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of bowl to assure batter is well mixed.
Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full. 
Bake until tops spring back when touched, about 18-20 minutes, rotating pan once if needed. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool completely before icing.

Ultimate Chocolate Frosting adapted from Brown-Eyed Baker
Frosts 12

170 g soft, unsalted butter
75 g (2/3 cup) icing sugar
45 g (3/8 cup) unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tbsp golden syrup
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
4 ounces/110 g chocolate (milk or dark- I used dark)

Melt the chocolate, either in a microwave or in a bowl over a pan of simmering water.Leave it aside to cool slightly.
In a food processor, process the butter, sugar, cocoa powder and salt until smooth, about 30 seconds, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
Add the corn syrup and vanilla extract and process until just combined, 5 to 10 seconds. Scrape the sides of the bowl, then add the cooled chocolate (it's really important that its cooler and not hot) and pulse until smooth and creamy, 10 to 15 one-second pulses.
Frost the cupcakes as desired. (I just spread the frosting onto the cupcakes and swirled it with a palette knife)

(The frosted cupcakes can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.)




I added a few chopped pistachios on top. What do you think?

Note: I didn't have any buttermilk so I substituted the amount needed with half yogurt and half milk.
 Check out this article on buttermilk substitutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment