Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Sisters - (Brown Butter Brownies)

Sisters......I have two. Both younger and both extremely annoying.
Having said that, they do support my addiction of baking one hundred percent mostly because they get to eat whatever I make. They have absolutely no desire to help me clean up or anything but once the smell of whatever I'm baking fills the house, they're around.
Honestly, they're like food critics, giving their opinion of what i make. It's useful , no doubt, but annoying. They also place orders and decide what i should make. Sometimes I ask them and sometimes they ask me.
This was one of those times.....


Last week, the moment I had some free time my oldest sister sidled up to me and asked "akki (which is how you say "older sister" in Sri Lanka) can you make some brownies?"
And I was like"sure, why not?"
I didn't oblige right way because I wasn't in the brownie mood.But i sure am now.
My sister isn't home right now so i'm waiting to see the look on her face when she comes home and sees a pile of freshly-baked brownies on the table :)

Brown Butter was something I'd heard of often, but never actually used in a recipe. So when I saw that Lynna from Hearts in My Oven had posted this recipe last week, I was overjoyed! I get to kill two birds with one stone, make myself and my sisters extremely happy while trying out a recipe with brown butter.

Brown Butter Brownies via Hearts in My Oven
Makes 9-16 squares

113g (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
70g (1/2 cup) all- purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
100g (1/2 cup) granulated white sugar
100g (1/2 cup) brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
60g (1/2 cup) unsweetened cocoa powder
2 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla extract
30g ( 1 oz) semi-sweet/dark chocolate
80g (1/2 cup) chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 180C (350F). Line a 8x8 inch baking pan with grease-proof paper or aluminium foil.
In a small saucepan, over medium heat melt the butter. Whisk occasionally until it turns amber, giving a "nutty" aroma(the butter will foam quite a bit) and there are brown specks at the bottom of the saucepan. Pour the butter into another bowl and leave to cool.
Melt the chocolate however you want (i normally do it in a bowl over a pan of simmering water).
Combine the flour, cocoa powder, salt, the sugars and the baking powder in a bowl. Stir in the eggs and the vanilla, followed by the melted chocolate and the butter.
Pour the batter into the prepared tin and spread it out.
Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Let the brownies cool completely in the tin before cutting them either into 9 squares if you want large ones or 16 squares if you want smaller ones. Either way, they are delicious!


No comments:

Post a Comment